List of Noteworthy Archipelagos
Real World Archipelagos
- Spratley Islands - possibly the most politically contested archipelago on Earth
- The World (Archipelago) - an artificial archipelago created by Dubai
Game and Story Use
- Archipelagos make great settings because traveling between individual islands is relatively fast, allowing the PCs to visit a new island in every adventure - yet the islands are often sufficiently isolated from each other that each can form its own, isolated community.
- Archipelago-based campaigns are thus the nautical equivalents of Adventure Towns.
- Consider throwing some underwater civilizations into the mix - this will make an archipelago setting even more diverse, complex, and fascinating.
- The setting of Blue Planet has an archipelago on a water world as the main focus.
page revision: 9, last edited: 06 Feb 2011 17:33