Despite the name a biker bar could actually play host to any reasonably insular and clannish subculture. The page name is simply due to the image being a Hollywood staple. Broadly, the place is a pub or bar which is frequented almost exclusively by one specific urban tribe - it could be (a specific chapter of) bikers, football casuals for a given team, punks, skinheads, goths, crusties, leathermen or pretty much any other similar group.
This sort of place is often depicted as a fighting pub and/or bad guy bar, but this is often an undeserved cliche - the biker bar is likely to be very hospitable to members of the appropriate subculture and at worst unfriendly to others … unless they manage to offend the values of the culture in question, at which point they will have offended pretty much everyone present, many of whom are drunk, and are likely to be in grave danger.
Game and Story Use
- In an urban campaign, quite a lot of PCs are likely to belong to some urban tribe, and in many places will have a place like this as their hangout. How the rest of the party goes down is another question.
- PCs may escape pursuers by fleeing into a biker bar that will be hostile to those who are chasing them.
- And turnabout is fair turn.
- Probably a good place to look for fellow thinkers in a strange city.
- …and a bad place to be looking for information if you don't belong.
- Ripe for subversion when the rough looking bikers are having a wine tasting evening or poetry recital.