By drink Ford Prefect meant alcohol. The Encyclopaedia Galactica describes alcohol as a colourless, volatile liquid formed by the fermentation of sugars, and also notes its intoxication effect of certain carbon-based life forms. The Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy also mentions alcohol. It says that the best drink in existence is the Pan Galactic Gargle Blaster…
The Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy — Douglas Adams
This article is a stub. Please expand on it!
A drink is a beverage, food in a liquid form whilst "Drink" on its own is a euphamism for alcohol (as in "after which, he took to drink and transformed himself, by degrees, into the very model of a town drunk").
To drink is to consume a liquid / beverage.
The drink refers to a body of water. For into the drink see swimming or drowning.
List of Drinks
- Alcoholic Spirits
- Beer … including subspecies such as ale, stout and porter.
- Cider … including perry and similar substances.
- Cocoa/drinking chocolate … in both their original and modern forms.
- Cordials … including all drinks from concentrate.
- Fruit juices
- Kumis - and related dairy fermentations.
Game and Story Use
- Since the traditional starting point for the classic Gygaxian Dungeon Fantasy is the Tavern, it would do well to have an entertaining selection of drinks available for the PCs to partake of.
- Many RPGs are pretty hazy on the subject, but pretty much anything human-like will need to drink something on at least a daily basis or it will cease to function. Drinking the wrong things can lead to all sorts of hilarity.
- Much like iron rations the "wineskin" or "waterskin" found in the list of basic equipment for most fRPGs often seems to be interpreted as a magic item granting protection from the effects of thirst … in many campaigns this is probably as much detail as you need.