A Hot Comet is a comet that has radioactive materials in or near it's core.
- Clay particles (the catalyst for life according to Clay Theory)
- Complex Hydrocarbons (building blocks of life),
- liquid Water (the biological solvent of all life on earth)
- Radiation (source of heat energy and random mutation)
Game and Story Use
- Every time a hot comet hits a planet, it has a chance of spreading (or starting) life. The tail of a comet might eject complex hydrocarbons and Alien Amino Acids, effectively seeding an entire planetary system with life as it passes near planets.
- The Blob, The Virus, or some other Alien Invasion can come from an impact or near-miss.
- We may have a Shadow Biosphere already in place, made of Shadow Life that arrived in a second wave. It may have come as recently as the Tunguska Event, or it may have arrived as distantly as just a few million years after the first life appeared on Earth.
- The existence of Hot Comets support exogenesis, panspermia, and abiogenesis theories. Getting a chance to explore or retrieve data from one may be a big deal for an astrobiologist.
- See Comet for additional story ideas, then add the complexity of radiation and primitive life.