August 3, 2009: The article compiles information from three other articles about criminal horse-killings near Miami, Florida. A total of 17 horses have been killed over the past seven months. The animals are brutally slaughtered bled out, and pieces taken. In some cases the beheaded bodies are partially hidden, in other cases they're left out in the open.
The article suggests a few motives:
- Apparently, horse-flesh is considered a delicacy in some cultures.
- However, one of the articles that article cites also suggests we may be unwittingly eating horse-meat, that's labeled and sold as if it's beef.
- Since these are riding horses, they may have been given tranquilizers, medicines, insect repellents, etc, that should never be put into the human food chain.
There appears to be no connection between the owners of the horses.
Game and Story Use
- Beyond the black-market horse-meat motives suggested in the article, this could be:
- The warm-up for some potential serial killer. Cruelty to Animals is often associated with the serial killer's psychological profile.
- Ritual sacrifice by a religion of evil. See Horse Sacrifice.
- A demon that possesses people and makes them kill animals. Earlier in the year, Miami also had a case where a teenager was arrested for killing 19 cats.
- El Chupacabra or Comelenguas, although it'd be more bloody, barbaric, and messy than most reported attacks.
- Linked to Cattle Mutiliation and whatever causes that. (UFOs?)
- A secret government conspiracy that is covering-up a failed genetic engineering experiment by killing all the super-horses.
- Some kind of ritual magic that involves consuming horse parts to adsorb the animals strength, stamina (or sexual potency).
- Poseidon is not only the god of oceans, but also of horses - and sacrifices of horses are said to be pleasing to him.