Accomplishments and Experiences prior to Presidential election
- Highschool basketball star
- Participated in Future Farmers of America
- Was a Sunday School teacher for most of his life
- Attended Georgia Southwestern College
- Took additional math courses at Georgia Tech, and a course on Nuclear Reactor Power at Union College.
- Admitted to the US Naval Academy in 1943. Graduated 59th out of a class of 820.
- Served for 6 years on surface ships and diesel-electric submarines.
- Served two terms in the Georgia Senate.
- 76th Governor of Georgia, from 1971 to 1975.
- Created the Department of Energy.
- Created the Department of Education.
- Established a national energy policy that included conservation, price control, and new technology.
- Negotiated Peace between Egypt and Israel.
- Returned ownership of the Panama Canal Zone to Panama.
- Introduced the Community Re-investment Act, a major contributor to the sub-prime loans crisis.
- Started the de-regulation of Savings and Loan institutions, setting them on the course that would eventually lead to the Savings and Loan Crisis of the 1980s.
Crises while in Office
- Iranian Revolution
- Iran Hostage Crisis
- 1979 Energy Crisis
- Soviet War in Afghanistan
Accomplishments since leaving Office
- Created The Carter Center for the advancement of Human Rights. It's HQ is in Atlanta, Georgia.
- Won the 2002 Nobel Peace Prize.
- He has traveled extensively to conduct peace negotiations, observe elections, and advance disease prevention and eradication in developing nations.
- Is a key figure in Habitat for Humanity.
- Worked as a "secret" diplomat between the US and North Korea during the Bill Clinton presidency.
- Author of more than 20 books.
- Regularly makes (at least) the shortlist for worst president of the US.
- Earned the nickname "Dhimmi Carter" for a percieved excessive sympathy to political Islam and hostility to Israel.
Additional events and facts that might prove interesting in a campaign
- In the Navy he took part in the cleaning up of a partial nuclear meltdown at Chalk River Laboratories in 1952.
- Was nearly washed overboard while serving on the USS Pomfret.
- President Jimmy Carters Sighting of a UFO
- Lived in a Haunted House from 1956 to 1960. In addition, Carter's sons one day found a secret room hidden in the house.
- Won his first State Senate election after the courts determined that his opponent had engaged in large scale Vote Fraud.
- Despite being very religious, Carter is the only American President to ever be interviewed by Playboy.
- While in office, unflattering media attention was frequently given to his younger brother, Billy Carter.
- In 1988, the navy named the last Seawolf class nuclear submarine after him.
- According to a cartoon segment on Saturday Night Live, he gained superpowers after being struck by lightning at a celebrity golf tournament.
3. Debunker.com - article on Carter's UFO sightings and ghost experiences
Game and Story Use
- Quite the Resume! Carter is more than just a President and Peanut Farmer. He has experience in the fields of nukes, submarines, diplomacy, politics, sports, farming, business, law, religion, education, UFOs, ghosts, and who knows what else.
- He'd be an appropriate NPC in many genres and settings from 1950 on.
- His character sheet would likely be most impressive.
- A GM could have some fun with the Authority Equals Asskicking trope. :) No one would see that coming!
- An example of how people often have much more varied skills and experiences than most RPGs (and TV or Movies) give them credit for. Give your NPCs more depth!
- Would make a powerful (but not overshadowing) Patron for good-aligned PCs in the modern day.
- …or not. Your Mileage may vary.
page revision: 9, last edited: 11 Oct 2010 15:23