"NOT MY DAUGHTER, YOU BITCH!"
— Molly Weasley, before killing the most viscious of Voldemort's minions in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
Don't mess with her kids.
The Mama Bear might be a quiet, retiring person most of the time; the type of person who wouldn't kill a fly. But threaten her children and the hackles raise, the claws come out and she shows her teeth. Threaten physical harm to them, and she's likely to come at you with all rage and adreneline and levels of ass-kickery that even she didn't know she had. And that's even if she's not an Action Mom.
Game and Story Use
- An NPC ally who is a Mama Bear could provide occasional combat aid to the party without overshadowing the PCs; most of the time she's a non-combatant, but when her kids are in danger, she's a force to be reckoned with.
- PC Action Moms are fairly rare, but if you have one, having her go all Mama Bear will give her a boost of Berserker rage.
- This could also be a bit of characterization for a villainous female NPC: She may be evil, but she loves her kids.
- Seeking to protect her kids, or avenge them, might even be her motivation for her villainous acts.
- Ladies and Gentlemen, I give you: Cersei Lannister (you'll notice no-one calls her Baratheon…).