March 19, 2010: Afraid for their lives, Mexican police involved in the fight against drug gangs are turning to magical assistance for their protection. The practices blend Haitian Vodou, Cuban Santeria, and Mexican witchcraft. Specific practices include:
- Getting tattoos of vodoun spirits like the "three-horned Bosou Koblamin" who "protects his followers when they travel at night".
- Sacrificing chicken on beaches, especially on full moon nights.
- Worship of Santa Muerte.
- Event/News: Mexico's death cult protests shrine destruction
- News: Police - U.S. teens were hit men for Mexican cartel
Game and Story Use
- In a mundane campaign, police reaching for allegedly supernatural protection can be a symbol of the desperation of the authorities.
- Maybe there really is a supernatural war raging in Mexico where the future of the nation is decided by spirits as much as bullets. Dare the PCs - presumably mages or spirit summoners themselves - get involved in this mess?
- In a world where magic and supernatural entities are real, it might only be prudent for the police to seek such supernatural assistance. Indeed, it might be standard police procedure…