Nymphs are beautiful woman-like beings most famously found bathing in streams.
Nymphs seem to originaite from greek mythology and are beings of a women like apperence and are allways very cloesly relaited to nature.there are different types of nymph - heavanly/sky ,plant ,land,stream or lake and cave or cool dark dwelling.they seem to be benevolent and somtimes even angelic although burning down woods or other such acts against nature may cause you to occour there wrath.
Nymphs of various kinds seem to have been popular sexual partners for all sorts of people in Greco-Roman mythology, ranging from deities down to mere mortals and were the mothers of many demi-gods, titans and heros. Some interpretations have them as the female equivalent of the satyr as a form of nature spirit (much as the holzfrau is to the schrat), but in others they are merely a common target of the satyr's lust. They may also serve as genii for particular locations in the wilderness or even "small gods" in an animist setting … they may also blend into the category of fairies, especially to a northern European.
Popular subtypes of nymph include:
- Dryad (spirit of the trees)
- Naiad (spirit of fresh water, especially springs)
- Oceanid (spirit of the sea)
- Maenad (a particular, nomadic and rather vicious type that accompanied Dionysius)
- The Muses (a very specialised spirit of the arts)
…and there are many others, most of these subtypes having subtypes of their own.
try greek mythology books for more info.
Game and Story Ideas
- nymphs are likely to feature a lot in games as thay are a fairly well know mythalogical creature.
- Having a nymph of some kind as a mother could serve as an unusual background to explain a character's supernatural powers.
- This arcanist once had PCs sent to track down a forest dwelling NPC by their mentor, who claimed the man as a friend from his youth. They encountered a young woman who claimed to be his wife … who then told them he was dead, and lead them to where a large oak tree was growing over his grave. She was, of course, a dryad and the PCs mentor … well, he wasn't all he appeared to be either and had forgotten how long it had been since he was young.