"We are making you an offer you cannot refuse…"
Organized Crime represents large groups of criminals who cooperate during criminal activities for profit and other benefits. When crime is organised enough, it may become hard to tell from government … indeed, even leaving sociological theory and politics out of the equation, a significant number of organised crime bodies consist of either emergent or relic systems of government at odds with the current regime.
List of Criminal Organizations
- Drug Cartels
- Gangs of Old New York
- Outlaw Motorcycle Gangs
- Piracy in Somalia
- Primeiro Comando da Capital
- Russian Business Network
- Thief in law (Vory v zakone)
- Thieve's Guild aka. Guild of Thieves
Game and Story Use
- Criminal organizations can be some of the most dangerous foes of the player characters. They don't care much about the law and the authorities, they have vast resources, little reluctance to use violence, and they often cannot be stopped by killing a single leader.
- They can also be important employers, patrons and the like, depending on the setting.
- Or they can be a neutral fact of life - the campaign need not involve them at all, except where the PCs need to buy or sell black or grey market goods.
- Or they can vary - sometimes the PCs are just shopping, sometimes they are doing a job for the local firm, sometimes they are banging heads with them.