Pluto's Gate uncovered in Turkey - pretty much the same thing on the other side of the planet.
Game and Story Use
- If someone knows the right rituals, he could use the portal to physically enter Xibalba while still alive and converse with the Mayan dead, gaining much occult knowledge in the process.
- Or even just summon the spirits of the (Mayan) dead to indulge in necromancy.
- Alternatively, intruders might accidentally (or deliberately) break the wards that keep the Mayan dead in Xibalba, thus releasing them to wreak havoc in the normal world.
- This might trigger a localized zombie apocalypse.
- Give the character of the Mayan and Incan pantheons, their land of the dead might be well worth avoiding.
- Far from the only "gateway to the underworld" on the planet - Lake Avernus in Campagnia is another example.
- Could be a bad place - or just a weak spot where it's easy to open an extraplanar gate.