"We followed the rails, we slept under the stars
digging in darkness, and living with danger
showing no fear of what lies up ahead
they'll never see the likes of us again"
(from) Driving the Last Spike Genesis
Railroad Laborer refers to the many, many people responsible for building and maintaining the rails of the railroad. The most famous of these is John Henry of man vs. machine contest notoriety. A substantial number of laborers in The Wild West were from China, and they have their own page at Chinese Laborer.
Game and Story Use
- By day, Set Dressing and NPC Extras] to flavor the background and remind the PCs that the Transcontinental Railroad is coming to town. By night, they could serve the same role at The Saloon, or perhaps serve as Mooks bolstering the ranks of your Angry Mob that plans to Lynch the PCs.
- It was very common for Railroad Barons to hire Pinkertons Agents to break up Labor Unions amongst the workers. These almost always ended poorly, and eventually got so out of hand a law was passed to prevent the Federal Government from giving any business to the bloody Pinkertons.
- Only the PCs can save the day!
- These people also serve as falling plates for rampaging warbands of "Injuns", thus requiring hired guns (or PCs as we like to call them) to be brought in to protect the worksite.
- In previous eras these people can be represented by canal "navigators" or road gangs for much the same sort of plotlines.
- Possibly also a good source of labour that can be hired for other jobs - such as the comprehensive demolition of the Martense family estate in H. P. Lovecraft's The Lurking Fear, or for unearthing lost cities, uncanning sealed evil and similar manpower intensive jobs.