Shape shifting occurs when characters transform from one shape to another. This may be a result of magic, lycanthropy, or the "natural" powers of shape-shifting races or individuals. It may be a painful and horrible curse (see Body Horror) or just another useful supernatural power to scrawl on the "skills & powers" section of your character sheet.
List of Shape Shifting Tropes
- Voluntary Shapeshifting - Generally a good power to have.
- Involuntary Shapeshifting - Generally not a good power to have.
- Freaky Friday - Not so much as a shift as a trade, but still a change in one's body.
- Attack Of The 50 Foot Whatever
- Baleful Polymorph
- Biological Mash Up - Two heads are better than one.
- Gender Bender - And its consequences:
- Glamour Failure
- Fountain Of Youth
- Humanity Ensues
- Incredible Shrinking Man
- Karmic Transformation
- Thirteen Going On Thirty
- Wolf Man
- Lycanthropy - can be voluntary or involuntary, depending on the treatment.
- Magic Pants - To secure modesty after your Transformation Sequence.
- Metamorphosis - A one-way, permanent change.
- The Mind Is A Plaything Of The Body - Your personality is changed by your new form.
- Mode Lock - Shape Shifting runs the risk of you getting stuck that way.
- Morphic Resonance - When your other forms still look like you in some way.
- Pinocchio Syndrome - A non-human wants to become human.
- Sense Freak
- Shape Shifter Baggage
- Shape Shifter Showdown
- Shape Shifter Swan Song
- Transformation Comic
- Transformation Conventions - A new shape to match the personality.
- Transformation Sequence - Sometimes involves a physical change during the activation of one's powers.
- Transformation Trauma - Sometimes changing shape ain't pretty.
- Painful Transformation - Taking another form hurts like the dickens.
- Warform - a transformation specifically designed to boost combat potential.
For transformations that require a significant change in mass, there would seem to be a requirement to balance this out somehow - ectoplasm may be the answer for those transformations where the shapeshifter gains mass, but where mass decreases things become trickier.
Game and Story Use
- Shape shifting player characters can vastly extend the range of their abilities, though their alternate forms might come with drawbacks of their own.
- Shape shifting enemies can be vastly more dangerous than normal foes, especially if the player characters don't know all the forms their enemies can shift into.