- Non-Vertebrate physiolology
- Nonhuman psychology (as opposed to Planet Of Hats)
- Either unable to survive in Earth-like conditions, or able to survive nearly anywhere.
- Vastly different motor, sensory, or communication abilities.
- Completely nonhuman reproduction, such as budding, virtual immortality, unfertilized reproduction, three or more sexes, or a specialized queen.
- Bee People
- Bizarre Alien Biology
- Bizarre Sexual Dimorphism
- Grotesque Gallery
- Starfish Language - for which you need a Babelfish
For a discussion of actual scientific principles and projections about possible alien life, see Alien Biochemistry and the pages it links to.
Game and Story Use
- TV series tend to the rubber forehead approach because they don't have the budget for full-body starfish aliens. Luckily, in gaming, we have our imagination. Don't restrict yourself to endless minor humanoid variations - create a species more unique and memorable.
- Unless, of course, you need a particular species to be as comfortable and familiar as elves.
- Hostile and truly mind-warping Starfish Aliens border on Eldritch Abomination.