Update: As of August 27, 2010, the count was up to nine actual feet, plus two morbid hoax feet (one plastic, the other an animal foot in a sock and shoe). The most recent actual human foot was found on Whidbey Island in Washington State, many miles south of the early findings.
Game and Story Use
- Well, obviously, some people are missing their right feet. The question is why?
- A group of cultists based in the Gulf Islands have voluntarily removed their right feet as they believe that the appendages in question are offensive to their worshipped deity.
- A group of medical students playing an elaborate joke have been randomly depositing the right feet of unidentified corpses on the beaches of Gulf Islands.
- A group of cultists have been forcibly removing right feet from randomly selected victims in order to sacrifice them to the sea-dwelling deity that they worship.
- The sacrifice is chained by their right foot … everything upwind of it has been eaten…
- A lone lunatic has been murdering people, dismembering their bodies, and throwing them in the drink — but by some strange quirk of fate, only their right feet have been washing up on shore.
- As suggested in the linked blog post above, the feet may be from the bodies from an un-recovered plane crash in the region, but that would be a pretty bizarre coincidence if the bodies all lost their right feet.
- The feet could be spontaneously generated, and have never been attached to a body, such as being the manifestations of a ghost of a person who'd died when their foot was cut off.
- Based on the Juan de Onate note above, someone could be cutting a foot off each of their slaves to prevent them running away - there may be a black market factory or drugs lab somewhere containing a number of one-footed people.
- Human cloning lab, run by a Mad Scientist with a foot fetish. His lab is on one of the islands, and his disposal methods leave something to be desired.
- Or he's growing feet for transplant and throwing out the defective ones…
- Years of inbreeding have lead to a creepy little family that's evolving to no longer be entirely human. Just as how some lizards can shed their tails, this creepy island tribe can shed and regrow their feet.
- Their monster manual entry includes "Treasure Type: A, + 1d4 Right Feet". :)
- Enforcement methods of the Pacific Northwest branch of the mafia?
- Sharia Law prescribes the amputation of a hand and a foot from opposite sides of the body for the offence of "fitna" - variously translated and "mischief" or "resistance" - which can include prosthelyitising for other religions. Perhaps there are an equivalent number of left hands out there somewhere.
- Cutting a foot or two from a corpse was said to be a good way to stop it making a nuisance of itself. Perhaps someone out there isn't taking chances.
- Possibly something - perhaps a ghost is possessing people but doesn't feel right having two feet (perhaps its original death was caused by a gangrenous right foot) and cuts one off its host. Who then bleeds to death, forcing the ghost to move on…