Ye Olde Village Smithy is the place where the local Blacksmith manufactures and sells items of Iron and Steel. It's a common visit for adventurers looking to stock up, and may well be the most important store in a town.
Objects you'll find in the blacksmith's shop:
- apron and gloves, made of thick leather to protect from the heat (and accidents)
- bellows to stoke the fire
- firewood or other fuel
- hammers of a few different sizes
- projects in various degree of completion, and possibly wares ready for sale.
- tongs (tool)
- water, in a large tub or bucket for quelching or putting out fires
Game and Story Use
- With that hot forge and heavy tools, the village smithy has plenty of improvised weapons close at hand. It could be an exciting spot for a fight scene.
- The forge is also a source of potential danger for the town. A fire might start there and spread to nearby buildings.
- See Blacksmith and Smith for further ideas.
- Ironically, one thing you normally won't find there is weapons - weaponsmithing was a seperate trade - often a seperate guild - and normally outside the competence and experience of a run-of-the-mill blacksmith. He can probably have a go at making weapons - as some can be quite easily improvised from agricultural tools - but he's unlikely to have any sitting about.
- Also, they're probably not worth his time and money to make and hold in stock - most "big ticket" items (like weapons) were made to order or schedule in the middle ages. Stock was limited to stuff you could reasonably expect passing trade to purchase and that wouldn't normally include weapons, even if the smith could make them.